Friday 17 April 2015

P is for Pond and Potter

A to Z Challenge - P


I'm back in Australia!  Today we are driving back home (a 10 or 11 hour drive) so tomorrow I will be catching up on everyone's blogs and comments, and updating you all on my trip.

P is for "Come along, Pond"
Matt Smith's repeated line to Amy Pond throughout series 5-7.  To be honest, I'm not sure when the first instance of this line was (and short of rewatching Smith's era from the begining, I'm having difficulty finding out), however Stephen Moffat (executive producer and writer) has revealled that the line was originally invented by Matt Smith during his and Karen Gillian (Amy Pond)'s first official photo shoot.  The line changed to "come along Ponds" in series 6 and 7 after Rory and Amy were married.  I've already mentioned that Amy Pond was not my favourite companion - nothing personal, but by the time she arrived I was very over the whole "comanion-in-love-with-the-Doctor" thing.  However, I loved Rory.  I miss Rory.  Rory was a companion who admired the Doctor, respected him, but also wasn't over-impressed by everything the Doctor did - he had a level of scepticism that was greatly needed to balance out what I found to be Amy's almost-gushiness.  Having a male companion gave the show a much-needed new dinamic that hadn't existed in the New Who series until that moment (sorry Micky, you don't count and Captain Jack was in love with the Doctor anyway!).  Hopefully we'll see some more male companions in the future - personally I'd rather that than a female Doctor.

P is for Harry Potter
Who else?  The main guy had to make an appearance eventually.  One of the main things I loved about JK Rowling's writing is her character descriptions and character development, and no character is better described or goes through a more pronounced development than Harry.  From the small, shy, abused and neglected boy who lived in the cupboard under the stairs, to the wizard who saves the world.  Harry is flawed and far from perfect: he throws temper-tantrums, makes bad decisions, almost ruins friendships - just like any teenage boy does really!  But at the end of every book he manages to save the day, make up with his friends, and learn from his mistakes.  For me, Daniel Radcliffe was the perfect Harry, and will always be Harry.  Not that he can't be other things too - he is a very talented actor: I saw him on stage playing an Irish boy with cerebral palsy (The Cripple of Ishamaan) and he was pretty darn good.   

Happy stitching!!

3 comments:

  1. Ooo! Love the cross stitch. Haven't seen much of Matt smith dr. series. My sister is a total hp fangirl. She would die if she received cross stitched hp figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a funny AtoZ theme and what amazing little cross-stitch people! You are incredibly talented - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you about Amy...next to Martha, she's probably my least favorite companion and I never "got" her.

    ReplyDelete