Monday 9 May 2016

Reflections on the A-Z Challenge


The A-Z Challenge is done and dusted for another year, and now is the time to breath and think about other things for a bit - releasing new patterns, and getting ready for Melbourne Oz Comic Con for a start.
This was my second year in doing the A-Z Challenge, and I set myself a mammoth challenge this year: cross stitch two alphabets AND write about my Harry Potter travels.  Why did I do this to myself?
  1. I've been wanting to write a blog about my Harry Potter travels for a while and this seemed like the perfect opportunity
  2. I didn't want to write about Harry Potter traveling under the Fangirl Stitches blog since that one is linked to my online cross stitch store
  3. I wanted to get back into blogging on the Fangirl Stitches page (after being absent for about 6 months)
  4. I couldn't choose between the two cross stitch alphabets!
  5. Which all led to a crazy, busy, whirlwind month and a half.
Onto the reflections:

I completed the challenge on all three projects - which is the most important thing.  On that note, here are the finished pieces.  Both patterns are available from my Etsy Store.
The Pokemon Alphabet
Fabric - 14 count Bluescape from Sew It All
It's even been framed and given to my sister-in-law for her birthday!
The Supernatural Alphabet
Fabric - 14 count Stormy Sky from Sew It All
The Supernatural photo was taken before the Great Washing Disaster of 2016, which I will tell you about another day. 

I also finished the Harry Potter tour which you can read about on my other blog.  I have a few other places to add that didn't fit into the alphabet, which I will get to soon... I hope!

I met some new people and discovered some new blogs.  My favourites (of course) were the cross stitching ones, particularly the ones where people were stitching my patterns.
There were several others that I enjoyed and visited regularly, 

I didn't visit nearly as many as I wanted to, and didn't get back to visit people as regularly as I wanted to either.  Moving, not having internet for a few days in the lead-up, Easter, travelling, work, as well as trying to finish to cross stitch alphabets AND write two blogs took up most of my time, leaving very little time to read and comment on other blogs.  I'm hoping to do the Blogging Road Trip and get back to visit some of the ones I missed/didn't read enough of, as well as find some more to read.  Thank you to everyone who visited my blog, even if you didn't leave a comment.  Big thanks to those who did leave a comment, and those who managed to visit regularly.  I take my hat off to you.

I got back into the whole blogging thing.  Hopefully it will stick with me a bit longer this time! I need to work out a schedule/regular time where I don't feel so stressed about posting.  I have exciting stories to share with you over the coming weeks including the Great Washing Disaster of 2016 (and how I survived), Unique QR Codes, Market Stalls Dos and Don'ts, as well as several new patterns.

I'll certainly do the challenge again next year, although I will start my stitching A LOT earlier and only work on one... or post about ones I've already finished!  That or only write one blog!  Scheduling posts is certainly the key to surviving the challenge, and having time to visit other blogs - and for a cross stitching blog it means starting early so you aren't madly trying to get your stitching finished on time.  I learnt this lesson last year, forgot it, and learnt it again this year.  Hopefully I remember it about February next year :)

Happy Stitching

Ros

3 comments:

  1. Your alphabets look fantastic Ros. I really enjoyed reading both of your blogs this year and look forward to next years.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't thank you enough for another great pattern and congrats on not only finishing two, but framing one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, I enjoyed your theme! I don't know if I want to know about the Great Washing Disaster of 2016...eeek!
    ~Katie
    TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete