Thursday 27 April 2017

W is for Winifred

This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm stitching the Buffy The Vampire Slayer alphabet cross stitch pattern (available from my Etsy store).  Each day I will share that letter's stitching, as well as a bit about the relevant character.

W is for Winifred "Fred" Burkle
This outfit is from Fred's first episode, but I couldn't find the source picture I'd
originally used.
Winifred “Fred” Burkle was born in Texas, and moved to Los Angeles where she attended graduate school at UCLA.  Fred’s physics professor, jealous of her talent, created a portal and banished Fred to Pylea – which is the same portal that sent Lorne (from the H post) to Los Angeles in her place.  Fred spent 5 years on Pylea as a human slave until she was rescued by Angel and his friends. 

On returning to Los Angeles, Fred joined Angel Investigations, where she helped solve problems and fight demons with her brains rather than any physical strength.  Ultimately Fred was killed when the essence of Illyria (remember her from I?) took possession of her body.


Fred was one of my favourite Angel-only characters.  She was Angel’s version of Willow – shy, quiet, un-coordinated, very smart, grew in strength as the show progressed.  She helped to off-set Cordelia, as well as provide some more female talent for the show.  It’s bugging me that I can’t remember more about her – I really need to re-watch Angel one of these days.

Happy Stitching

4 comments:

  1. I loved Fred. The thing I remember most about Fred are her wickeds: she was wicked smart and had a wicked sense of humor. I hate what happened to her when Illyria took over. Never did like that particular character development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh agree! Such a horrible way to end her. :(

      Delete
  2. Wow !!! absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! When I think of Winifred, I think of Winifred from "Anne with an E" (CBC/Netflix series). Strongly recommend if you haven't seen AWAE. It's a masterpiece. Sadly, discontinued. (For now). #renewannewithane

    ReplyDelete